Walnut ( Karat/akhrot ) chutney/dip is one of the recipe which I got when browsing.I made it a day for dosa and had some dip left over,since I am alone in afternoon for lunch I just mixed it with rice ,to say the truth it tasted awesome with rice rather than in morning.Got it from here and made slight changes.
Some health benefit of walnut:
- Its considered brain food due to high omega-3 fatty acids.
- good source of manganese and copper.
- Protein rich.
- Powerful antioxidants and Vitamin E.
- Have monounsaturated fats(MUFAs) which help reduce high cholesterol level and improve cardiovascular wellness
- Walnut- 1\2 cup
- Grated coconut- 1\4 cup(fresh or frozen)
- Red chilly-2
- Green chillies-2
- Toor dal- 2 tbsp.
- Garlic cloves- 3 r 4
- Tamarind- a small marble size
- salt to taste
- curry leaves a spring
- oil- 1 tbsp.
To temper:( I didn't temper it here)
- urad dal
- curry leaves
- hing powder-a pinch
1. Keep all ur ingredients ready.
2.In a wok/pan add a tbsp. oil,first add the dal and roast for while,then add green and red chillies,garlic,curry leaves and roast for while.
3.Then add walnut and roast for just a minute and switch off.Add tamarind and coconut to it .
4.Cool it and transfer it to blender,add salt and make a fine or coarse paste according to your preference.
5.Then temper with the ingredients " to temper" and pour it over the paste.
Serve it with idli, dosai, etc.
1.I didn't temper here,do it if u want.
2.Add chilies according to ur spice level.
3.The original recipe used red lentil / masoor dal since I didn't have it I used toor dal.