Simple easy to cook payasam at home with the ingredients in your pantry. Rice and coconut will almost be seen in every house and if you crave something sweet then make this kheer/payasam and enjoy.
Onam is around the corner and most will be busy preparing for their Onam sadya , my advance wishes to all readers who celebrate it. As I am from Nagercoil, a place near to Kerala the festival is celebrated there too. I got this recipe from a cookbook attachment and prepared for my birthday, trust me it was great.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time:15 mins
Recipe type; sweet
Recipe Cuisine: India
- Rice- 1\2 cup
- coconut grated-from 1\2
- Powdered jaggery- 1\3 to 1\2 cup
- Milk- 1\2( boiled & cooled)
- Cardamon powder- little
- Cashew or coconut pieces- few
- ghee-to fry cashew/coconut pieces
1.Wash rice well. Coarsely ground rice and coconut.
2.Add about 2-3 cups water to it and cook in a big vessel. Stir it continuously to avoid burning until the rice is cooked well.
3. Add the powdered jaggery to it, mix and let it boil.
4. Lastly add cardamom powder, milk and switch it off.
Add fried cashew/coconut bites and serve.
1. Increase the jaggery level if you want to be sweeter.
2. Colour may be dark depending on the jaggery type u use. I used light color one so my kheer color is light.
3.You can replace milk with coconut milk also.Don't allow milk to boil more as it will be curdled.But milk will be good as it already has coconut in it.
4.It was not mentioned to use which rice variety, I used raw rice.
Pictures updated 2/3/2018