Kancheepuram Idli with Step by Step Pictures
Kancheepuram Idli as the name says this idli/ steamed rice cake is famous and from the temple city in south India, Kancheepuram which is near Chennai. To be honest I have never eaten this idli before until I made it at home. When I was blank what to make for breakfast the next day this idli came into my mind. While searching I found out people use raw & boiled rice together along with some spice in the idli batter. Mix well and steam it.
As I was trying this for the first time I used a small amount and ground the batter in my mixer. It came out soft and absolutely delicious with that spices. I used the batter to make breakfast for two days. For the first day, I served it with two chutneys and sambar for the second day. Both the combo was superb.
- Idli rice- 1 cup
- Raw rice-1 cup
- Urad dal-1/2 cup
- Methi seeds-1/4 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry ginger powder-1/4 tsp
- Jeera& pepper-1/2 (together), coarsely powder it.
- Oil-1 Tsp
- Mustard-1/2 Tsp
- Cashew nuts
- Channa dal-1/2 Tsp
- Red chilly-1
- Curry leaves
1. Clean rice, dal, methi and soak in water for 2-3 hours.
2. Drain water and grind it, it is not necessary to ground the batter finely.
3. Transfer into a container. Add salt, mix and allow it to ferment overnight or up to 8 hours.
4. To the fermented batter add ginger powder, coarsely ground pepper- jeera and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add all the ingredients give under " to temper " one by one and add it to the batter.
6. Grease idli pan, scoop batter init and steam it.
Serve hot with chutney, sambar or both.