Chana Masala with step by step picture.
Whenever I make Poori/puri for breakfast my daughter always prefer this chole masala.So during weekends, I make sure that I soak channa the previous night for this. This masala is the best combo for poori, appam, chapatti and can even have it with rice.
This masala is an easy one-pot pressure cook type which is aromatic and mildly spiced. For channa/chole masala mostly the white chickpeas/Kabuli channa is used. Let us see how to make this.
Preparation time: 8 hours(soaking time)+ 10mins
Cooking time: under 30 mins
Recipe type: Side Dish
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Chickpeas/white channa-1/2 cup
- Oil-2 Tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Onion-1 ,big
- tomato-2, medium ( pureed)
- Red chilly powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Chole masala- 1 tsp
- Sal to taste
- Coriander leaves
To grind into coarse form:
- Ginger-1 inch piece
- Garlic pods-6
- Green chilly-1
1. Soak chickpeas overnight. Coarsely grind ginger, garlic & green chilly.
2. Heat oil in pressure cooker. Add bay leaf & cinnamon. Add chopped onion and saute till translucent. Then add the ground paste and saute till raw smell goes.
3. Puree the tomato in the mixer.
4. When the raw smell of ginger garlic paste vanishes add the soaked chick peas, all spice powders and tomato puree. Mix well.
5. Dilute with some water. Add salt and pressure cook for 6-7 whislte or till done.
6. Wait for steam to go by itself. Open and if you feel it is too watery allow boil for a while. Add coriander leaves.
Serve for poori/Batura.
1. If you don't have chole masala then use garam masala.