Ragi/finger millet halwa with step by step pictures.
This is my last millet recipe for this Diwali. As promised I tried few of it and I hope I try furthermore in the near future. This ragi halwa I prepared by soaking, grinding, extracting the milk and mixing. It is quite a lengthy process and worth trying it. I followed my wheat halwa method except that I omitted the caramelization step. Also in this halwa, I have replaced white sugar with pure cane sugar.
Let us see how to make this halwa.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Soaking time: 10 hours to overnight
Cooking time: 30mins
Recipe type: Sweet/ dessert
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Whole ragi- 1 cup
- Cane sugar- 1&1/2 cup
- Ghee- 1/3 cup + 1 Tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Cashew nuts- few
1. Clean and soak in water for 8-10 hours. I soaked it overnight.
2. The next day, drain and grind it in a mixer with some water.
3. Filter the milk through a fine sieve. Grind the residue again and extract the milk. Measure the milk.
4. In a nonstick pan add sugar, water. Wait for the sugar to dissolve in water.
5. Then add the extracted milk and keep stirring continuously.
6. It may look like lumps but don't worry keep stirring it will get mixed well.
7. Add ghee in between while stirring. Keep on stirring continuously for about 20-25 mins
8. At a stage, it will become glossy and becomes a mass form. Add ghee fried cashew, mix well.
9. Spread on a greased plate, cool and cut into cubes.
Healthy and tasty halwa is ready.
1. Continuous stirring is necessary.
2. If you don't have cane sugar you can use regular white sugar.
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting.Drop in your valuable comments.