Thinnai/Foxtail millet idli with step by step pictures.
Foxtail millet idli is a healthy breakfast option in place of regular idli. I have tried idli with other millet, but in all, I have used some rice to make the batter. But in this millet idli I haven't used any rice and yet the idli turned soft. Some other idli recipes in my space include ragi instant idli, fermented ragi idli, kodo millet idli, etc.
I already have thinnai idli in my blog but init I have used rice, but here I have only use the millet foxtail. This idli would be somewhat light yellowish in color since the batter is prepared only with millet. If you use one cup rice instead you will get idli in white color.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Soaking time: 2 hours
Fermentation time: 8 hours- to overnight
Cooking time: 15 mins
Recipe type: Breakfast/dinner
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Foxtail millet/ Thinnai- 2 cups
- Urad dal-1/2 cup
- Methi seeds-1/4 tsp
1. Clean millet, dal-methi seeds, and soak separately
2. First, grind dal-methi to a fine paste with little and transfer to a bowl.
3. Then add drained millet and grind to a fine paste with water. Transfer to the same bowl.
4. Add salt and mix the batter well. Allow it to ferment overnight.
5. Mix the fermented batter, grease idli plate and scoop batter in it and steam for 10 mins.
6. When done remove from idli plate and serve.
Serve with your favorite chutney or sambar. I served it with red coconut chutney.
To make Dosa/dosai:
Dilute with some water and pour a ladle of batter on hot tawa. Drizzle oil around it. When cooked on one side flip and cook the other side.