Palak khichadi/ Spinach Dal recipe with step by step pictures and video.
After trying out an easy method of Bisibelabath I want to try my hand on khichdi. I have tried khichdi with rava/sooji, I want particularly try this khichdi with the khichdi dal available in the market. If you don't seem to get this dal then use regular moong dal. Khichdi is somewhat similar to pongal whereas in Pongal we don't use any vegetable but her in this khichdi you can use a mix of vegetables or else like this recipe, palak khichdi.
Palak khichdi makes a great meal balanced by itself as it has protein, carbohydrates, and minerals. This can be served as such with any pickle or plain. I served it with the ginger pickle. This can be had for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Recipe type: Breakfast/lunch/dinner
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Rice-1/2 cup
- Khichdi dal/moong dal-1/3 cup
- Palak/spinach- 6 leaves
- Oil-1 tsp + 1 tbsp
- Onion-1, chopped
- Clove, cardamom, cinnamon- each 1
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water- 3 cups
- Ghee- to pour on top
A quick video
Instructions with step by step pictures.
1. Clean rice -dal and soak for 15 mins
2. Clean palak, chop and saute it a tsp of oil. Cool and grind to a paste form.
3. Heat cooker with a tbsp of oil, add the whole spices. Add onion and saute.
4. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute till raw smell goes. Add the palak puree. mix.
5. Add in all spice powder, drained rice-dal.
6. Then add water, salt.check and adjust.
7. Pressure cook for a 5-6 whistle and wait for the steam to go by itself.
8. Open and add ghee. Serve hot with papad or pickle.