Sweet potato gulab jamun with step by step pictures.
Happy New year to all my readers and friends. May this new year fills you joy, happiness and my prayer for all your dreams come true.
Let me start the new year's first post with a sweet note and hence this gulab jamun. We all love gulab jamun and now and then we all at home carve for this dessert. Gulab jamun is a deep-fried ball soaked in sugar syrup. This ball can be easily prepared with the ready-made mix easily available in the market. It can also be made with khoya/mawa, bread, milk powder, etc. Here I have used one method with the use of sweet potato. With the sweet already init this Jamun tasted yum and just melted in our mouth. The verdict my son gave was it was too soft.
Let us see how to make it.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Recipe type: Dessert/sweet
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
- Sweet potato-1
- Maida- 2 tbsp
- Sugar-3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
- Saffron- few strands
- oil- to fry
- Pistachio- for garnishing
Instructions with step by step pictures:
1. Cook sweet potato. Peel the skin, mash it well and measure. It came around 1/2 cup for me.
2. Boil sugar with a cup of water. Add cardamom, saffron and cook till it reaches sticky consistency.
3. To the mashed potato, add flour and make a soft dough. ( don't give much pressure). Cover and keep for a while.
4. Make small balls of it . Heat oil and fry these balls in low flame till it turns golden brown.
5. Add the fried balls to the sugar syrup. Cover and keep for 2 hours for the syrup to absorb inside the balls.
6. Garnish with chopped nuts and serve as such or chilled.