Thinnai/foxtail millet with step by step pictures.I always have an obsession with millet and I love to try all south Indian recipes with it. I have tried idli/dosa, puttu, idiyappam( string hoppers), khichadi, etc with many millets. Although I love sweet Pongal, kara Pongal is family favorite and all love to have it hot. So I see that I make it during weekends to all to relish it hot.
Let us see how to make this Pongal.
Preparation time: 5 mins
cooking time: 20 mins
Recipe type: Breakfast
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Thinnai/Foxtail Millet- 1 cup
Moong dal-1/3 cup
Water- 2 cups
Salt to taste
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Crushed pepper-1 tsp
Green chilli-1, chopped
Ginger- 1 tsp, chopped
Coriander leaves- chopped
1. Roast moon dal for a while. In a pressure cooker add cleaned dal and millet. Add water and salt. Pressure cook for a 4-5 whistle or till done.
2. Allow steam to release by itself. After opening add milk and mix well.
3. Heat ghee in a tadka pan, temper with all the ingredients given and add to the mix.
4. Mix well and serve hot with sambar or chutney or both.
1. You can make the same without adding milk also.