Nannari/Sarasparilla syrup with step by step pictures.Nannari is a medicinal root used to prepare this syrup. You can get this in a local Siddha medical shop,(Nattu Marunthu Kadai). This root is one of the best coolants for this summer. You can easily get this syrup in all departmental store where it will be labeled as a synthetic flavoring used and also they used sugar to make this. I have bought this syrup before but I always want to try it at home. so I bought this root from a local medical store near my house and made it with jaggery. You can also use cane sugar.
Let us see how to make this.
Preparation time: 1 day ( include drying time)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Recipe type: drink/squash
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Makes: Around 2 cup
Nannari roots- 100 gms
Jaggery- 1 cup
Water- 3 -4 cups
2. The next day slightly crushes it ( if possible remove the inner white of it).
3. Take the crushes root in a cooker. add water and cook for 3-4 whistle.
4. Meanwhile, add crushed jaggery and make a syrup. ( no need to check string consistency.)
5. Drain the cooked nannari root through a fine cloth.
6. Filter and add jaggery syrup into a thick bottom pan(i used the same cooker). Add drained root syrup.
7. Squeeze lemon and boil till it reaches one string consistency. Switch off.
8. Cool and store in the refrigerator.
To make juice:
1. Add 2-3 tbsp of the syrup, water, and some lemon juice.
2. Mix well. Add ice cubes and serve.