Black rice idli/dosa with step by step pictures.
Being a south Indian idli/dosa is one of our regular breakfast or dinner. Apart from regular white rice idli/dosa, I try to make a batter with many millets. When a bought a pack of this black rice I have an idea to make idli/dosa with it. After making black rice /Kavuni rice payasam I decided to try this breakfast recipe and it turned out super soft and tasty. You will never notice any difference in taste except the color.
Let us see how to make this.
Preparation time: 10 hours (includes the soaking time of 8 hours-over night)
Fermentation time: 6-8 hours
Cooking time: 10 mins
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe type: Breakfast
Black rice/Kauvni arisi-1 cup
Idli rice- 1 cup
Urad dal-1/2 cup
Methi seeds-1/4 tsp
1. Clean and soak black rice for minimum of 8 hours and idli rice for 2 hours. Clean dal-methi and soak for 2 hours.
2. First, add dal-methi seeds and grind it fluffy with little water. Transfer to a container.
3. Then black rice , grind, and transfer.
4. Same way add idli rice and grind. Add all the mix to the same container.
5. Add salt and mix the batter well. Keep it overnight for fermentation.
6. The fermented batter would have risen up well. Mix it well.
7. Grease the idli plate and scoop batter in it. Steam for 10 mins.
8. With the help of a spoon take the cooked idli. Do the same for the other batter.
Serve hot with sambar/chutney or both.
For dosa :
-dilute the same batter with little water and spread a ladle of the batter on dosa pan.