Steamed Christmas pudding with step by step pictures.At last, I did it, yes I want to make this steamed Christmas for a long time and I did it today. I referred many pages but many of it uses alcohol and eggs. I gathered some information from Sharmis passion and adapted my own way. I fully used atta and avoided white flour. Also instead of breadcrumbs, I used rusk powder. If using bread use fresh bread powdered in a mixer. The only time-consuming portion is the steaming part. My idli pot was not able to hold two pans to steam together. So it took 4 hours together to steam it,2 for each pan.
Let us see how to make this.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 2 hours
Recipe type: Dessert
Recipe Cuisine: British/ Indian
Wheat flour- 1/2 cup
Rusk powder/bread crumbs-1/4 cup
Baking powder-1/2 tsp
Baking soda-/14 tsp
Spice powder-1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
Curd- 1 tbsp
Dry fruit mix-1/2 cup (soaked in apple juice)
Icing powder- for dusting.
For Caramel Sauce:
First, let us make the caramel sauce:
1. Heat 1/4 cup sugar in a thick pan. It will start to brown. When fully caramelized pour 1/4 cup water boil for 5 seconds and switch off. cool it. This is the caramel sauce.
2. In a mixing bowl add rusk powder, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spice powder.
3. Then add curd, soaked fruit mix with the juice, essence, and mix. slowly add caramel sauce and mix it.
4. Take a bowl, grease it well. Fill with the prepared mix. cover with foil and tie with rubber band or thread.
5. Place in a steamer and steam cook for 2 hours. In between check for water in the steamer and add. After 1 &1/2 hour check it done. Mine correctly took 2 hours to steam.
6. Cool it completely. Losen the side and invert on a plate.
7. Dust with icing sugar and slice.