Fish dum biryani with step by step pictures.
This is my favorite biryani. Before marriage, I have never eaten this. My first taste was when my husband made it. It was soo tasty and I used to ask him to make it. But there was no time for him when he was on vacation. On our wedding day this year, he made it and decided to blog it.
To make this fish biryani good fleshy fish is needed. I don't remember what fish we used at that time as I was not blogging. This time we used black pomfret fish. This recipe involves four main steps. Marinating fish and frying it. Cooking rice to the correct stage. Making masala with the fried fish and the last step layering rice with fish masala and keeping in dum.
Let us see to make this.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time:30 mins
Recipe type: Main dish
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Basmathi rice- 2 cups
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Fish- 1 kg (fleshy fish)
For marination:Red chilly powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Pepper powder- 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil -to shallow fry
For masala:ghee+oil-3 tbsp
Whole garam masala
Onion-2, thinly sliced
red chilly powder-2 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
salt to taste
1. Clean the fish well. Add all the ingredients listed in " for marination". Marinate it well and keep aside for some time.
2. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a big pan. Add whole spices. Pour enough water. when water starts to boil add cleaned rice and cook till it is 3/4th done.
3. Quickly strain the water and keep the rice ready.
4. Meanwhile shallow fry the fish pieces in batches.
5. Heat ghee+ oil in another thick bottom pan. Add whole spices. Add chopped onion, green chili. Saute till onion becomes translucent.
6. Then add all spice powder, salt, tomato, mint - coriander leaves and cook. add little water (around 1 cup).
7. When water boils add the fried fish pieces and cook the masala becomes semi-thick. Switch off.
8. Take another pan for layering. I used the same pan.
9. First, add a layer of the cooked rice, then the prepared fish masala. add some coriander leaves. Then some rice -masala. do such that the top layer be the rice. Add some coriander leaves on top.
10. Cover and keep in very low flame for 8-10 mins.
Fish dum biryani will be ready.