Black urad dal idli/dosa with step by step pictures.
Idli/ dosa is one staple breakfast is most south Indian homes. I would always keep a batter of it standby in my refrigerator. If I make white rice batter next time I would opt to grind millet batter. You can check many varieties of idli/dosa recipes in my blog. Check the side menu which has a few lists of it. To add to that collection here comes another variety using the whole black variety urad dal. Since the dal is ground wholly the batter will look little greyish. But there is no compromise in taste. You will never feel any different. The whole black dal is very healthy.
Let us see how to make this.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15mins
Soaking time: 3 hours
Recipe type: Breakfast/dinner
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Black urad dal-1 cup
Methis seeds-1/8 tsp
Idli rice- 4 cups
1. Clean and soak dal+methi & rice for 3 hours.
2. Then first grind dal mix to a fine consistency. transfer to a vessel.
3. Then grind drained rice to a fine paste and pour it to the same vessel.
4. Add salt and mix well. Keep it to ferment overnight or 6-8 hours.
5. Mix the batter well. Grease idli plate. Pour batter init.
6. Steam till done. Serve hot with chutney or sambar or both.
To make dosa , dilute the batter with little water. Pour a ladle of the batter in hot dosa tawa and make.